Saturday, April 14, 2012

Even Us Extraverts Need Our Downtime



I am an extravert and I love being surrounded by people and activities. I grew up playing at all hours down the street with my friends, going to sleep overs whenever I got the chance and getting involved in multiple extracurricular activities.   In high school, one would either find me at Jill Rejeanne’s Dance studio, an Irving High football game, at Plymouth Park Baptist Church, working at Burger King or at my best friends house.  I didn’t like to be alone.  I talked to anyone and everyone, no matter what social circle they ran with.  I would say I was pretty known in my high school years. I was even nominated for the “Most Friendliest” of my class.  I liked being with others and doing something.  This was no different when I entered college. I was constantly popping my head in different rooms while living in the dorms, I went to a lot of Phi Lamb and Cru parties and sometimes choosing social hour at the student center over going to class.  After college I spent 2 years in Russia working with Cru, where I rarely had a moment to myself.  I loved those two years. I loved investing a lot of time with my Russians friends and I especially loved that they were very relational and enjoyed quality time. I thrived in ministry those 2 years.  I have been on staff with Cru for the past ten years. I am constantly with people, building relationships and initiating a lot.  I love that my job is so people orientated. 

But... over the years, I have learned that I reach certain points where I simply have to have time and space to myself or I'll crash and burn.  What, an extravert and solitude? As in "down" time, alone time, nobody in my space time, no internet, telephone, TV, or even bury myself in a good book time?  Yes, even extraverts need down time. Is that a crime? It doesn’t mean I am becoming an introvert or depressed, it just means I am learning the importance of making space to rest and reflect.  It means I am getting older and wiser. I am growing up!



When I keep going and going to right over the top of the headache, insomnia, pain in the back, neck and shoulders, I usually don't even notice when the weariness sets in. Instead, I end up feeling like I need to push a little bit harder. That's an extravert for ya. But the older I have gotten, I have learned to pull back, slow down, unplug, let my batteries recharge.   As I continue to lead more and more in my job, I have learned even more that I need time in solitude, to let the chaos settle a bit and invite God to show me evidence of his presence at work in big ways and subtle ways and allow him to guide me in understanding what these things mean (something I learned while reading Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership). 

My dose of solitude last wknd was just what my soul ordered.  I realize how often I don’t allow room for stillness, silence and rest in the Lord.  As a campus director of a ministry, I understand more and more everyday the importance to have the discipline of solitude. It is my lifeline.

Jesus said, “Come off by yourselves; let’s take a break and get a little rest.”
~ Mark 6:31 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment